Monday, August 31, 2015

Rejection Blues

Daniel Lobo
Are you a fiction writer or poet? Do you submit your work? Then, if you're like most of us, you receive rejections. Do you sometimes wonder if the polite note you receive is the magazine's boilerplate or something that indicates a higher level of rejection? Then there's a wiki you might find fascinating, the Rejection Wiki. It shows the standard rejections text and higher-level rejections text from hundreds of journals.

Don't let those rejections get you down; rejection is part of the life of a writer. I average placing a story for every 11 submissions. Some do better, some worse. The difference between a published and unpublished author is often perseverance, not talent.

2 comments:

  1. I got a rejection two weeks ago that was so unusual and wonderful, I thanked the editors. What was clear is that they had read every one of the poems I submitted and they COMMENTED on each, strong lines, what they liked. I told them that what I want more than anything is to be read, and so while I didn't love being rejected, it felt good to be rejected and read than just rejected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same way. A rejection accompanied by constructive feedback is a rare and valuable missive.

      Delete