Monday, August 17, 2015

Mr. Holmes and the Human Being


Jon Seidman
I'm not one to read reviews of movies beforehand, as I find my tastes are not those of the general public. Sometimes this works to my disadvantage, as it did with the recent release, Mr. Holmes. I had the general impression that the critics had viewed it favorably, but had no idea about the plot except for the notion that it dealt with his last case. Given that, I expected a mystery story along the lines of the Jeremy Britt television episodes, but with better acting, since Ian McKellen was portraying Holmes. I prayed that it was not another Guy Richie fiasco.

Therefore I was quite surprised to find the mystery was not the focus of this story. Instead, it provided a fascinating study of the Holmes character, exploring his dotage. Why make this a Holmes story instead of creating a new character, since it wasn't a mystery story? The answer is simple; the groundwork had already been done in establishing the character, a man famous for being analytical, cold, and a bit of a misanthrope. Therefore, the director and writer were free to focus on the process of evolving him to a new state of mind, something done with great subtlety.

McKellen's acting was sublime, and the surrounding cast, especially his child friend, were excellent. While the film progressed rather slowly at the beginning, by the end it was most satisfying. I won't spoil the film with details, but I highly recommend this if you like films that explore character, and can put aside the ghosts of Basil Rathbone, Britt, Robert Downey Jr. (Yech!) and that Cummerbund fellow.

No comments:

Post a Comment