Friday, August 7, 2015

95ers: Time Runners

Photo by fdecomite
Time travel is so seductive to Hollywood movie makers that we continue to see films based on this premise despite what I perceive as lackluster success, both thematically and financially. When I watch a movie such as 95ers: Time Runners, I can't help but wonder if I'm the stupid one for failing to unravel the Gordian Knot that the film presents in its time travel plot. I've come to the conclusion that I'm not; it's often the film maker that is to blame for the confusion.
You see, film makers are drawn to the premise, "What if I could change the past/future?" This plot concept is so rich in possibilities that they can't resist making the movie, but when they actually get to the point where they need to explain how time travel works and what its impact would be, they realize they have no idea. At that point, they do a bunch of hand-waving, using jargon and fancy graphics to disguise the fact that their plot makes no sense.
And you know, I'm OK with that. If the story is strong  enough (12 Monkeys, for example) I'm willing to concede some illogic. It's not as though I haven't done some hand-waving in my own fiction.
 However, in 95ers: Time Runners, that personal story was so unclear that I never fell into lockstep with the main  character, and consequently the ambiguous ending left me dissatisfied. There was also some weak acting, some unsubtle storytelling (some minor characters were rehearsing the classic time-travel tale A Christmas Story throughout the film), and a great deal of confusion about who wanted what and when.
I give it credit for ambition, and the production values were fine, especially for a low-budget film. If I had more time, I might watch it again to see if it made more sense, but I can only go forward in time, as best as I can tell, and those hours are precious.

No comments:

Post a Comment