Thursday, February 6, 2020

Mad Men

Many people who I deeply respect have extolled the qualities of the series Mad Men, set in the 1960's Madison Avenue advertising world. I tried again this week to catch the drift, but failed for the third and last time. I've come to the conclusion that I simply don't enjoy television shows without heroes, and I could find no one to root for in Mad Men. They seem a collection of sad men and women with virtually no self-awareness. I've had the same reaction to Deadwood, The Sopranos, and other series. This is strange, in that I write a lot of short crime fiction in which there are no heroes. I think the difference is in scope; I can hang with noir for the duration of a short story, but not a novel. I'm no fan of James Ellroy, for example. I was raised on Roy Rogers, and I guess I've never grown out of hero worship.

No comments:

Post a Comment